Man: Gynecomastia in Vienna
Correction of gynecomastia and/or pseudogynecomastia in men by liposuction and/or removal of mammary gland tissue
The most important facts about gynecomastia correction
Gynecomastia Breast correction by liposuction and/or removal of mammary gland tissue in men
Despite sporting activity and a generally slim appearance, male breast enlargement can occur. Many men and adolescents suffer from breast enlargement due to increased activity of the mammary gland, genetic factors, the use of hormones or age-related factors.
Gynecomastia and pseudogynecomastia
This leads to an increased accumulation of fat (pseudogynecomastia) and also glandular tissue (gynecomastia).
Gynecomastia almost always occurs in combination with pseudogynecomastia.
Reasons for gynecomastia correction
It is usually cosmetic reasons that prompt men to have their breasts corrected. The most common motivations are to freely expose oneself with a bare upper body, to feel comfortable in clothing, and to feel at ease during sports and in the sauna. Gynecomastia correction is an option if:
Gynecomastia and aesthetic demands
An enlarged breast is perceived as very bothersome in terms of aesthetic standards by many men. Men often feel impaired and inhibited by this. Swimming, sauna, sports, or exposing oneself without a shirt are avoided as much as possible. An enlarged male breast is often noticeable or visible through clothing.
Gynecomastia - What you should know!
How permanent is gynecomastia surgery?
With a healthy and sporty lifestyle, you will keep the result.
What is gynecomastia and pseudogynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is an enlarged male breast caused by an enlarged mammary gland system
Men also have the predisposition to develop a mammary gland. However, the formation of a breast does not take place and the mammary gland remains at the infantile stage of development. If there is an enlargement of the mammary glands, this is referred to as gynecomastia. It can occur unilaterally or on both sides of the male breast. Occasionally, gynecomastia also occurs in conjunction with so-called pseudogynecomastia.
Pseudogynecomastia – enlargement of the male breast through fatty tissue
Pseudo-gynecomastia is used to describe an increase in fatty tissue in the male breast area. This can have several causes such as obesity, genetic influence, hormone intake or can also occur due to age.
Gynecomastia almost always occurs together with pseudogynecomastia.
What are the risks of gynecomastia correction?
Thanks to my many years of experience, the use of modern techniques and their further development, we can minimize the risks of surgery, significantly improve the aesthetic result and reduce swelling and pain in the post-operative phase. Patient safety is my top priority. However, there are certain risks that cannot be completely ruled out, even with state-of-the-art technology. In the case of surgical correction of gynecomastia, these are in rare cases:
- Post-operative bleeding or wound infections
- Wound healing disorders and circulatory disorders of the nipple
- Asymmetry, formation of dimples
- Scar hypertrophy
When are sports, sauna, sunbathing, solarium and hammam possible again after gynecomastia correction?
- Sport: Light sporting activities can be resumed around 4 weeks after gynecomastia surgery. Please wait at least six weeks before engaging in more strenuous sporting activities.
- Sauna, hammam, sun and solarium: should be avoided for at least 3 months
Is it possible to correct the male breast without surgery?
If you have enlarged male breasts, there are unfortunately no real alternatives to gynecomastia surgery.
How do I prepare for gynecomastia surgery?
Before liposuction and/or removal of breast tissue, we will discuss the following points together to minimize the risk for you and to ensure a lasting result:
- If true gynecomastia is present, an ultrasound examination (sonography) and a hormone status are required. Both can be performed on an outpatient basis.
- Shower the evening before the operation or the morning of the operation. Do not apply cream so that the markings made to optimize the result adhere well.
- Shaving takes place shortly before the operation or in the operating room. If you want to shave yourself, please only do so on the day of the operation. Micro-injuries in the area of the hair shaft can lead to a proliferation of bacteria, which increases the risk of infection.
- Do not take any medication containing aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs for at least 10 days before the operation, as these have a strong effect on blood clotting. Acetylsalicylic acid is contained in many medications – if you are not sure which medication you can take before the operation, for example to treat a headache, please ask me personally.
- General state of health and any illnesses
- The influence of nicotine on the wound healing process. If possible, avoid smoking for 3 weeks before and after surgery.
- Chronic illnesses such as high blood pressure or diabetes must be well controlled with medication.
- Prepare everything you will need after the operation at home and put the most important things within easy reach so that you can devote yourself to your recovery after the operation.
- Organize transport home in advance, as you will not be allowed to drive after the procedure.
What does gynecomastia surgery cost?
Male breast correction is a surgical procedure and therefore requires compliance with high safety standards. The total costs for this, including anesthesia, amount to € 3,990.
Prices valid from 01.01.2024
Guide to gynecomastia surgery - The path to your new self
It is very important to me to support you in your decision by providing you with comprehensive information. In addition, a trusting relationship with your doctor is necessary.
Our procedure for operations
Simply make an appointment via "Book consultation" or by phone on +43 1 417 05 05. We are happy to be there for you personally.
Talk to Dr. Roland Resch
A first consultation where you will be thoroughly informed by me about the procedure you are planning, and where you can ask any questions. After that, we will provide you with all the documents to take home.
Take your time to consider. Additionally, the legislator prescribes a contemplation period of 14 days.
In a second meeting, we will once again explain all aspects of the procedure, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
If you decide to proceed with the procedure, we will find a suitable date for the operation that works for you.
3 steps of gynecomastia surgery
Anesthesia for gynecomastia operation
A gynecomastia surgery is usually performed under short anesthesia.
Method of gynecomastia correction
In cases of gynecomastia caused by excess fatty tissue, the breast fat is reduced through targeted liposuction. Liposuction is carried out through minimal incisions, with careful attention to emphasizing the male chest shape. This procedure can achieve an optimal and natural result. If palpable breast gland tissue remains after liposuction, it can be removed without additional incisions.
Aftercare and recovery
The recovery period after gynecomastia surgery is relatively short. A compression garment must be worn in the first six weeks after the procedure. Taking pain relievers in the first days after the procedure can be helpful. The pain is comparable to a severe muscle soreness in the chest area. Depending on your activities, you can quickly return to your professional life. Office work can be resumed after 2-3 days, while heavy and strenuous work can be resumed after approximately 2 weeks.